Sunday, March 01, 2009

North End Classic

Quick Update...I am tired and need to go to bed, but this weekend we went south to take part in the North End Classic Omnium. Saturday was the Crit in Old Town Yuma. A rolling course with quite a few turns. I bridged up to a break that stayed out for the whole race and got second at the crit and bonus sprint. After the race, we hung out and watched the other races then went back to my brother-in-law's place for some carne asada. Sunday was the road race. Two laps of a mostly flat 28 mile course. Jarrod and Patrick did an awesome job keeping me safe in front of the peloton, protected from the wind, however we misstimed when to go to the front and pick up the pace to try and get the bonus points. I ended up going with another guy with about a mile to go and ended up getting caught 200 meters from the line. Being over 8 points down, I figure I would let Jarrod and Patrick do their own race and defend my second place on my own. We had just started the second lap when Jarrod almost got taken out on the first corner. Shortly before the feedzone, Patrick went on a break with two other guys and they ended up staying out. I wasted a lot of energy chasing the leader when I knew I was going to beat him. Eventually I let him go, but later I had to work hard to chase the multiple attacks from the guys sitting on 3rd and 4th. We became the chase group along with 6 other guys, unfortunately I let off the gas a little too early coming into the line and got 13th which pushed me back to 4th overall just 2 point away from 2nd. Oh well...it was a good race.
Thanks to Jarrod and Patrick for all the support! Results got all screwed up so we waited for ever then went back to Yuma for food Burgers-n-Beers and a little drive around then a quick stop to see the family, then drove home.
Quite a busy weekend. I am glad tomorrow is Monday and I just have to go to work. Finally time to rest.
On other news, coach had a great race down in Mexico winning the Masters category at the 2nd edition of the Transmexicana. He even finished 3rd overall and rode the last couple of stages with the leader. Here is a link to a race report from a Canadian guy that finished second overall.
Way to go Art!
Now I am really going to bed. This didn't turn out to be such a short update after all. I'll add some pictures later.
Jeff

No comments: