Saturday, March 14, 2009

From DFL to 8th

Today we raced the Foray at the Fort, the fourth race on MBAA calendar. The venue was inside the Forth Huachuca Army Base near Sierra Vista.
We drove the night before and camped out. The night was a little chilly but not bad.
Norma got on the podium by finishing in 5th. This was her first race on the Trek. I finally put it together on Wednesday, then I spent most of Thursday night hanging all the goodies I got for my Fireline. Thanks to Jay Robinson and the folks at HammerHead Bicycles for helping me getting the bike looking like a fine piece of racing machinery. Unfortunately, my wrenching skills were not up to par for this race. I was really looking forward to doing well, but my handlebars came loose less than a mile from the start when I was sitting on second. I stopped to tighten them and got passed by everyone. I worked really hard to catch the tail end of the group by the end of the 25 min lap. Then on the second lap both tires starting to loose air (probably I didn't seat them well), so I reached for my CO2 just to realize I didn't have a nozzle with me. I stopped and got help from a Marathon rider to get my tires inflated enought to finish the race. I went on to pass a bunch of guys and finish in 8th. The course was awesome and really suited me but it just didn't happen.
We had lunch in Sierra Vista with Art and Wendy then drove back home.
Hungry Dog Crit is tomorrow. Not sure if I'll do the Cat 4 and the 30+ race or just the latter.
I'll decide based on how I feel in the morning.
Pura Vida!

No comments: