Sunday, February 22, 2009

3rd Time is a Charm...Not really!

Third race of the MBAA series went on yesterday. I wasn't sure what to expect since I had done only two rides, both of under 90 minutes during the week, not to mention my legs still felt heavy from the Old Pueblo effort.
Norma didn't race, so we got to the venue and where Darrin had the Team bus conveniently set up right next to the finish corner. We watched the Marathon and Female races going on then it was time to get ready.
11:30 AM came by really quick. I lined up at the start behind Scott Keller and Tim Allen. The three of us came hot off the start line and stayed up front. Tim was setting such a fast pace that we had gapped the group within the first mile. Soon Eric bridge up to us as we got to the sandy spots and I started to fade. I couldn't keep the same pace on the sand so, Lance and Kam came by. I stayed in 6th for the rest of the lap but I could see Kam. I tried bridging up to him but my effort had me crashing in front of everyone at the corner for the start of the second lap. I struggled to get off the bike and a few seconds later was in pursuit. I rode most of the lap by myself just to find Tim working on his crank near the end. Kam was fading and I was able to catching before the downhill. With two tech loops to go, I started to hear someone behind me. First I thought that Kam had recovered and was closing in really fast. All the sudden I saw the blur of green and red go by me like a was standing still. It was Tim and he was on a mission. I couldn't even try to get on his wheel, in addition I was starting to cramp. Half way into the Tech loop I looked back and was very surprised to see Mike Montalbano from New Jersey closing in on his singlespeed. The guy is a stud. He scapes the Northeastern winter for a few weeks and comes down to AZ to make us look bad. I held him off for the rest of this lap during which I also caught Scott Keller who had flatted. On the last Tech loop, Mike came by me but I was in damage control mode already. My legs were cramping up badly, so I just wanted to secure a spot on the podium. And I did, Chris Suter was a couple of minutes back so I held on to fifth. Not bad for a week of swollen feet and head colds. Now I am off to the Sun Devil Crit for 45 minutes of racing with the "old guys."
Jeff

No comments: