Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Turkey Week

Last week was an easy week for me in terms of training time, however there was plenty of stuff going on with Thanksgiving dinner at home with family, gym workouts, Black Friday stuff at work and some riding.
We hosted family on Thursday, so Norma and I spent the previous night and most of Thursday getting food ready. Everything turned out pretty good. Turkey, mashed potatoes, green beans, stuffing, baked yuca, fresh salad, wine and empanadas. Needless to say I probably ate too much but on Friday I found a way to burn it off.

Yes, that's a turkey suit. I wore that thing for a little over 3 hours on Black Friday. When your department supports the retail and credit side of the biz, it's obvious you have to work that day, however this year our support was in the form a comedy relief by walking around in the custome, taking pictures, playing silly games and all kinds of shennanigans. It was fun, however I am pretty sure I lost more sweat than on a regular 3 hour ride.

Talking about riding, on Saturday I joined Art and Brian for a ride at White Tanks. First we rode the course backwards, which was pretty cool, then we went to explore some other trails in the park away from the competitive track. We rode Mesquite Canyon up. The first mile or so was really rocky and mostly unrideable either up or down then at the top the trails completely change and allows us to ride some awesome trails. It almost felt like we weren't in Arizona. There were several miles of hardpack singletrack that went from one ridge to the next and the next...until we had to start heading down then we had to do a lot of this...
Here are Brian and Art walking their bikes. After this section we hiked for about 30 minutes during which we would hop on the bikes and ride for 30 seconds then walk for 5 and so on. It proves that you have to earn your singletrack.

On other news, I just found a video clip of the cyclocross race from the previous week, so here it is for your enjoyment. As you can see, I didn't lie when I said that I had no problems with the barriers.





This coming weekend Norma and I are racing the Dawn to Dusk as a coed team. Hopefully the weather won't be anywhere nearly as bad as last years. Now I just have to confirm that my bike is ready. I dropped it off at Landys Cyclery, so they could check an oil leak on the fork.

Pura Vida!
Jeff

No comments: