Sunday, November 23, 2008

Saturday Gravel Grind

The plan for Saturday was to get 3.5 hours in Zone 1 with a few 1 minute efforts at race pace in preparation for the cyclocross race on Sunday. I am planning to race on the hardtail, so I figured I'd spend the day getting re-accostumed to it and went for a ride on the different gravel roads around Maricopa.
No matter which direction you go in Maricopa, you are bound to see two things:
1. cows:
2. Cotton fields
I didn't have a planned route, I just pointed my bike south and follow the gravel. Eventually one of the roads lead me to this...You would think this is a perfect cyclocross training opportunity....hum! Nah, I didn't feel like getting muddy, not to mention cross racing in AZ is pretty far from muddy. So I hiked around it and still got my shoes dirty. Oh, never mind the sign, it's open...at least to bicycles.About half way into my ride, I noticed a little trail going up one of the buttes, so I went exploring. You can see part of it on this picture.At the bottom the sand turned to rocks and it got rockier and steeper until I got to this...Time to practice shouldering my bike.Here is the view from the top.
I had to hike down too, then rode back home to make it a gravel grind just shy of 60 miles.
Probably not the recommended pre-ride for my cyclocross debut on Sunday but coach said this is only a test race.
I wonder how am I going to do when I get to hop my first barrier...
Pura Vida!
Jeff

No comments: