Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Super Domestique

I probably spoke too soon about the nice weather finally coming down here to the Valley of the Sun, as mother nature had another week of above average temperatures for the area. That meant we had to drink hot Cytomax tea for a few more days. No Cytomax doesn't make tea...yet, however after you have your non-insulated bottle with grape Cytomax out for any more than an hour, it turns into grape flavored tea. According to Norma, the good part of it is that your body is supposed to absorb it faster, but it tastes nasty and at that point it doesn't provide the refreshing effect that you expect when the temps are nearing the 100 degree mark...in the shade. Unfortunately no one bikes under the shade here in the desert.

This morning though, the temps were still nice, so I got ready for another ride to work. I got two bottles ready, got dressed, put air on the tires and headed out the door. Since I had just finished a cup of coffee and I was planning to ride for 2 hours at an easy pace, I didn't even reach for my water bottles until 15 minutes into my ride. At least tried to. I reached down and all I could find was the bottle cage. I looked down and there is nothing. So with 1 hour and 45 minutes left on my ride, I decided to go back home and grab the bottles (last week I did the same but I had no time to go back, so I rode to work with no water). So I got to the next turn around point and as I was starting to head back I hear someone calling me from the other side of the road. There was my beautiful wife on her bike, so I yell to her that I had left my water bottles at home and I was heading back to the house
-she says, "yes I know! I have them with me."
Unsure that I heard right I decided to stop and wait for her to turn around. I knew she was also going for a ride but we were riding different routes, however as she was getting ready to leave a good 5-10 minutes after me, she found my bottles in the garage and decided to try and catch up to me. So there she was, winded from an all out effort to catch me. She said she was planning to ride as fast as she could to Casa Blanca road (which is where I finally turned around) but if she couldn't catch me she would go back home. The funny part is that I never looked back, otherwise I could have seen her way back as the road follows a straight line for a good 1-2 miles before Casa Blanca.


Anyway, I figured this would be a great time to recognize her for everything that she does for me. I don't think I could have accomplished what I have so far without her support. From supporting me at races and even training rides (like today), to understanding the sport and recognizing what a big part of our lives it plays and everything else in between. THANK YOU!

Training is going steady. I am spending a lot more time a The Gym following coach's plan. By the way he just got done with two different 100K Off-road races south of the border. Check out his blog for more details.

On equipment news, last week I got the OK from my ever supporting wife to order one of this for next year. I am hoping to race a little bit more on the road next season, so this will be the weapon of choice. I should have the frame by the end of the year then I'll see how long it takes me to put it together.

Off-road I am planning to ride like the devil next year. More details to come...
Pura Vida!

1 comment:

MCF said...

Hey Jeff - the training partner (wife) is smart - you should listen to her! :) I hear warm absorbs better than cold as well.

Good luck with all the training and coaching. Sounds like you're really pushing yourself for next year. Can't wait to see both of you out racing again!