Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Here comes the Bandersnatch

Last weekend a bunch of Adrenaline Team riders came to the McDowell Mtn trail system to pre-ride the course in preparation for the upcoming two races at this venue; the second event in the Dust Devils series on 11/01 and the 12/24 Hours of Fury the following weekend.
Upon our arrival I saw Darrin who had just completed one of the many laps he did that day in addition to riding from his house, then Tom joined us for what turned out to be the official delivery of the Vassago Bandersnatch frame that I'll be riding. Thanks guys!
I am really excited about building the bike up and start riding it. Except for a few short rides on borrowed 29ers, I haven't ridden 29 inch wheels yet. I am really glad that I get to experience that, riding a bike from a company that especializes on bigger wheeled mountain bikes. Not to mention all the positive reviews that I have heard from all Adrenaline riders who already got theirs.
I'll take a little while to get it build up as I don't have any 29er parts that I can just swap and go for a ride, so I'll keep you posted on that process.
After starting the weekend on that great note, Norma, Kendra and Wendy went for a few loops at McDowell while I completed a few drills prescribed by Art on the pavement. That was the first time I hit my heart rate threshold since the 24 Hours of Payson over a month ago. It's hard to forget that weird taste on your mouth and the burning on the legs but for some reason I really love getting to that point. It makes me feel like I am really training.
On Sunday, I had another long easy ride so I met up with Bob and Jonathan for a ride from Wickenburg to Yarnell and back. It was a little chilly at the start, however less than 15 min into the ride we were already getting rid of layers. The ride up to Congress was steady gentle climb, then from there it's a steep climb to Yarnell. I kept my HR under Zone 1 and rode the climb on my very smallest gear. Once at the top we decided to ride a little further down before heading back. The downhill back to Congress was awesome and scary at the same time while going way above the speed limit a few times.

Jonathan flatted right before Congress, so it was a nice little break before the last few miles back to the car.
Once in Wickenburg we refueled at the House of Berlin. Nothing like German food for a recovery meal. We had beer from the "Oldest Brewery in the World" according to their table coasters, some bratwurst, schnitzle and some tasty potatoes. I guess Wickenburg is the place to go for German food now.
This coming weekend Norma is racing at McDowell. I'll be on bottle hand-off support then riding a few loops afterwards.
Until next time!

Pura Vida!

1 comment:

Tom Ament said...

SOunds like a sweet ride up Yarnell!!! You are going to love the bander... now you just ned to thik of a good name for it!