Sunday, July 06, 2008

Stages 3 and 4

So the first mock training in preparacion for AMC is over.
4 days, 17.5 riding hours, 185 miles and over 10000 calories burned.

Stage 3 was Saturday up in Flagstaff. I drove up with Art and Wendy then we met Dan and Darrin on the way. After a quick stop in Mayer to get gas, we made it to Flagstaff where we met up with Tom Ament on his singlespeed Jabberwocky.
Tom had already been riding by the time we got there and he was sporting an ear to ear smile. Soon we too were sporting the same grin, except for when we had to climb up Little Bear, a 3.5 mile climb to Mt Elden. We ran into the Schampa guys at the top on their Saturday ride.
The rest of the ride couldn't have been better. We connected to Secret Trail which brought us to Lower Moto which was part of the final MBAA race. We got back to the cars to refill while loosing Tom on the way. I guess he found some fun trails to ride back but eventually met up with us.
Tom and Darrin called it after the 3 hour mark, then Art, Dan and I went for a little more. Art and I rode Rocky Ridge then decided to head back as the skies started to look treatening. Dan in the other hand kept going. His plan was to ride 6 hours in preparation for Breck 100.
Wendy did a 2 hour trailrun from Buffalo Park and was waiting for us to get back so we could all get some deserved food. Pita Pit was the place. After the quick bite it was time to head down the mountain to the hot temps in the valley.
On the way down, I heard from Norma who was dealing with car trouble, so after getting to Art's house I had to go play mechanic in 106 degrees. Thankfully it just needed a jump.

Stage 4 got changed at last minute. Art had to do his time with the Mountain Bike Patrol at South Mountain and I didn't know if anyone else would join me for the Quad Bypass. In addition to that Norma took my car to a family gathering, so I decided to do a ride closer to home, so I could ride from my garage door. The plan was to ride to South Mtn and back with as little pavement as possible. The how was left out to improvisation. I found a gravel road (probably White-Parker) that took me to Casa Blanca then I connected with a canal trail thru the indian reservation. I crossed Hwy 347 and kept going thru the reservation until I made it to Riggs Rd. I rode about 1/2 mile on the road then found another gravel road the headed north and cut thru some farm lands until I made it to Pecos. I ran into fellow Proconers Patrick Rhodes and Ben Erlandson on Pecos.
I rode to end of Desert Classic then hike-a-bike up Telegraph. After taking a little break to let a snake cross the trail, I continued to the top. While I waited to get my breath back after a tough hike I saw Melissa Buhl go by on her road bike, fresh off of winning the ONLY US medal a the World Championships in Italy. Congrats!
The hike continued to the top of the western side of National which I followed all the way down to Bajada. These two trails were really loose due to recent rain, I had to dismount on a couple of dowhills. After Bajada I was running low on water and fuel, so I headed down to the Circle K on Central to refuel. After getting water, a liter of Coca-Cola, a Clif bar and a bag of peanuts with salt and lime, I headed up the road to Telegraph pass to start the ride back. Half way up the paved climb I saw another Proconer, this time it was Judah. He turned around and rode with me to Telegraph pass.
It was a little toasty on the way home, so I filled the now empty Coke bottle with water and poured some over my head every so often. The ride back thru the reservation felt a lot harder. Soft ground and sandy trails are tough on tired legs but I made it home after being out for a little over 6 hours to take a nice shower, get some food then watch Le Tour.
Sorry for the lack of pictures. I needed the pocket room for food and supplies so I didn't bring the camera.
Now I am ready for a day off tomorrow followed by another week of high volume but mostly on the road before heading to Minnesota for work.

Time to go to bed, I am beat after four days of endurance riding.
Pura Vida!
Jeff

No comments: