Thursday, July 03, 2008

Mock Stage Race

So in preparation for AMC in August, I planned a 4 stage training simulating the race for this weekend.
Today's stage was supposed to be a 16 mile TT on Desert Classic. Bob joined me for the 5:30 AM start (even though I showed up at 5:40...sorry Bob) from the west end of Desert Classic. The plan was to ride to Pima Canyon and back. Unfortunately my Larsen TT 1.9 (the road tire according to Trever) got a leak and I discover that Stans dried up a lot quicker this time while sitting in a hot garage for the last few weeks. Anyway, we stopped and put a tube in while Bob did the Corona de Loma loop. We got going again but I pinch flatted shortly before the Pima Canyon entrance. Bob had patches, which I really hate using them because they never work for me. After one failed attempt, Bob decided to ride back to the car. I gave it another try with more patience. I cleaned the tube a little better and put it back in. It held up to 15 psi, so I rode to the nearest street and found my way back to the car.  I had to stop and pump some air but I made it to the parking lot just at the same time Bob was pulling out to go looking for me.
Anyway, I got 2 hours of riding including stops, half of it on pavement.
Tomorrow is going to be a suffer fest up the back side on Mt Lemmon in Tucson for Stage 2. I need to put a new tire in the back.
Saturday we'll be heading up to Flagstaff for some riding around Mt Elden.
The last stage will be on Sunday with a 4+ hour ride around the McDowell Mtn Preserve area.
Pura Vida!

No comments: