Thursday, March 03, 2011

Retirement 1.0

In life one makes a lot of decisions, some more important than others, however a few weeks ago my wife and I made a decision that will truly change our lives, mine in particular.
It was September of 1999, when I walked into the headquarters of one of the largest retailers in the US for an inteview. This Friday, I am walking away from the same company with small box of belongins but most importantly, a long list of friends, an boat load of great stories and a universe of experience.
In my almost 12 year at Target, I had the opportunity to work with great people. People that taught me everything I know today; from the basics of how corporate america operates, work ethics and responsibility to overall working as a team.
While leaving all that behind it's hard, I am also excited to start a new adventure. One that not many people have had the opportunity to follow and one that I would forever be in debt with my wife for allowing me to do it.
Starting this Saturday, I will be focusing my entire time to training and racing my bike. I don't have a big team contract to support my dream or a winning lottery ticket. I just want to train long and hard to be able to race my bike more succesfully and see where that takes me. Is this crazy? Yes, it is...however I don't want to grow old wondering what it would have been like to give it a try.
Am I alone on this? Of course not, I have the complete support of my wonderful wife. That combined with the help from friends, family, team and sponsors gives me the confidence to go forward with it. Just time will tell what will happen.
On the other hand, I really think this blog would see a lot more updates as it becomes my main tool to keep my family, friends and sponsors up to date on my training and racing.

Thanks to all for the support and I look forward to seeing you out on the road, trail or race.
Until then, keep the rubber side down!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good luck Jeff!! I am glad that you have the opportunity to chase your dream, you will be missed!! CT :)