Saturday, May 23, 2009

Sore Tom's Thumb

Who needs Alp D'Huez when you have Tom's Thumb trail? I just found this trail today while riding the awesome trails at the McDowell Mtn Preserve. I am not sure if they are the result of efforts by the City of Scottsdale, IMBA, volunteers or a combination of them, but a big Thank You to everyone that's put work onto those trails.

About today's ride...I started from the parking lot at Bell and Thompson Peak. Art had prescribed a 3 hour MTB ride, so I figured I could easily do that there. I went up Windgate Pass, which was nice and tacky due to yesterday's rain. It was a little humid too, but I wasn't complaining. From Windgate I descended towards Coachwhip, however on the way there I passed by an intersection to a freshly cut trail, which was the access to Tom's Thumb. The first part consisted of a gradual climb followed by a couple short rollers then I rounded a corner and saw the trail point upwards in the form of switchbacks. Switchback #1 was fine, 2-4 were tight and steep and my 22/34 were no match for them. 5,6 and 7 were hard but I made it up them. I walked up #9 then 10-12 were rideable, but at that point I was so tired I couldn't. The trails levels out after switch back #13 and becomes a gradual climb all the way up to #17, then when you think you are done, there is one last section that looks more like a continuos "S", steep, loose and tight which will give you that one last kick in the butt before you summit. Tom's Thum will be infront of you. The Thumb is big rock protuding above all others and looks like...you guessed, a thumb. After taking in the scenery I decided to reward myself with a long downhill, however there is one last little climb with a few more switchbacks to do before diving into a series of thight switchbacks which I didn't even bother to count, then the trails levels out and brings you back to the start of the Windgate climb.

I did Windgate one more time, over to Bell Pass and down. I still had 20 min to go, so I finished with a lap around the Gateway Saddle loop.

In other news...oh yeah, I raced last weekend up in Flagstaff. Race went OK. Finished 7th. Had a couple of holy cow moments and to this day, I don't know how I kept it up-right. Broke a Ti pedal in one of those, so it was pretty scary.

Norma did better. Got 3rd in her group even though she went the wrong way after a some individuals tried to derail the race by making course changes. Too bad we can't all coexist and be happy!

We also got our fence fixed. It only needs to be painted. We'll see how long it takes this guy to do that. Funny part about this is that the community newspaper lists the incident on their Sheriff Log and states that the driver left the scene. Huh, they must know something we don't!

I gotta start planning the second part of the season. I have a few races in mind, however right now I just know I am racing the State RR on the 6th and the MBAA finals on the 13th. Everything else is up in the air.

I told "Koko" I would take him to the dog park this afternoon, so I better get going. He's giving me this look of "are we leaving yet?"

Jeff

No comments: