Monday, January 26, 2009

New Family Member and Redefining the term "Running out of"

Last week was one of those weeks where I truly enjoy living here. Temperatures were in the 70s, calm winds, slight chance of showers one day and little humidity. What else can one ask for? World peace? Well that...

Anyway, this week we also welcomed a new member to our family, so we have been busy.
His name is "Koko" and he's a 6-week old Chocolate Lab. His mom is an American Chocolate Lab and dad an English Yellow Lab. So far he's been really good. He cried just a little the first night and with the exception of a couple of "number 1" accidents, his potty training is right on schedule.

We brought him home on Thursday, so we could have the weekend to get to know him and figure out a routine. On Saturday, I left for a ride and when I came home he looked so happy to see me, anyone would have thought we had know each other for years.

Sunday, we spent the day doing some chores at home, trimming some plants and getting the backyard puppy proofed. Then, of course we had to allow play time and cuddling time, so I didn't get on the bike until 3PM. About 1 hour into my ride my heart rate monitor strap stopped working. Oh well, time to focus on perceived effort. I had an easy ride, so I had no problem staying in the right zone. Then 30 minutes later my iPod battery dies. Oh man, I was totally rocking to Queen with it died too, so that was a bummer. I also made a last minute change to my riding route and figured that I could make it to Casa Grande and back home before dark. I completely underestimated how long it is from I-10 to the Casa Grande/Maricopa Highway. I had my last power gel right before that, so I had no food left. A few minutes later I also drank the last drop of water from my bottle. By now it's starting to get dark, so I pulled my cell and called home to let Norma know so she wouldn't worry. I barely got through the call before the cell phone battery died. I pushed a little harder, not sure how hard with no HRM monitor, to beat the sun home but I lost, so now I am out of daylight. To make it even better about 2 miles from the house I completely ran out of power, so I barely could turn the pedals to make it home.

Thankfully my wife had dinner ready and after some carboloading and some wine and lots of water I was ready to play with this guy again.
(Here he is "playing" with one of his favorite plants)
Next weekend is Super Bowl weekend, but it'll also mark my 2009 debut in the road racing scene. I'll be racing the skinny tires at the Avondale Crit. This will also be my first race since getting the upgrade to Cat 4 roadie. Now I just have to go relearn how to take corners at speed on the road bike.

Until next time....

Jeff

1 comment:

ZMoney said...

Koko is awesome! Layla is going to love to have a playmate at the races!