Sunday, August 17, 2008

The week before AMC

This week was supposed to be a easy week to taper for the race. I rode to work one day, on Wednesday, Norma and I rode Desert Classic, then on Thursday I met Darrin P. at Coyote Athletics for a VO2 Max Test. I haven't run in a few year with the exception of the LeMans start at some of the 24 Hour races, however the test was on the treadmill.The state of the art treadmill was gentle on my knees during the test, which I was a little worried.In the end I scored a higher number than the last time I had my VO2 Tested, which is great, however my muscles were really sore for a couple of days after, eventhough the workout was just over 17 minutes long.On Saturday I met with Tom Ament for an early morning ride at McDowell. We clipped in shortly after sunrise and started Tom's version of an easy, endurance ride. Less than 10 minutes into the ride, my heart rate was higher than my max during the test on Thursday. Thankfully he stopped to take a phone call (yes, he answers his cell phone while on the trail), so I could catch up to him. I lost him again at the top of the rocky climb in the back of the Competitive Track and didn't see him until I got to the parking lot. I guess I went too hard because the last few short climbs were almost impossible for me, to the point that I had to go to some of my lower gear just to get up them. We met Art, Jay, Darrin and Tom for a long lap to the sport loop then went up to Pemberton to complete 3.5 hours of bike practice.

Later that day after having some breakfast at SeƱor Taco, we got home just to find a big pile of dirt in front of our neighbor's house and a little note on our garage door. As it turns out, a few months ago they had offered us to take some of the river rock from their back yard so I spent the rest of the day and part of the following hauling rocks and dirt on a wheelbarrel. Needless to say my back is really sore and a little sunburnt too.

Now the plan is to have two easy rides on Monday and Tuesday before the drive up to Brian Head.

I'll keep you posted!

Pura Vida!

No comments: